1. Cut out each leveled word bank list. (You
may want to laminate them).
2. Have students read each word on the list. You should
start lower than you expect the student to be or from the
3. The list in which a student misses no more than one of
the ten words is the level at which he/she can read independently.
- Two errors indicate his/her instructional level.
- Three or more errors identify the level at which reading
material will be too difficult for him/her. STOP.
1 word missed = Independent level
2 words missed = Instructional level
3 words missed = Frustration level
-- = pre-primer level,
- = primer,
1 = first grade level, etc.
for desired printable word bank: